UTeach is pleased to share publications and information connected with our program.
Click here for the UTeach video.
Click here for the UTeach brochure.
- Marder, M., Failure of U.S. Public Secondary Schools in Mathematics, AASA Journal of Scholarship and Practice (2012); 9:1 p8-24.
- Marder, M., Measuring Teacher Quality with Value-added Modeling, Kappa Delta Pi Record (2012); 48: p156–161
- Bendinelli, A. J., and Marder, M., Visualization of longitudinal student data, Physical Review Special Topics - Physics Education Research (2012); 8, p020119/1-15
- Walkington, C; Sherman, M. & Petrosino, A. "'Playing the Game' of Story Problems: Coordinating Situation-based Reasoning with Algebraic Representation." The Journal of Mathematical Behavior, (2012), 31:2, p174-195.
- Marder, M, Research Methods for Science (Cambridge University Press, 2011)
- Stroup, W.; Hills, T. & Carmona, G. "Computing the Average Square: An Agent-Based Introduction to Aspects of Psychometric Practice." Technology, Knowledge and Learning, (2011), 16:3, p199-220.
- Marshall, J. A.; Petrosino, A. J. & Martin, T. "Preservice Teachers' Conceptions and Enactments of Project-Based Instruction," Journal of Science Education and Technology, (2010), 19:4, 370-386
- Dickinson, G.; Summers, E. J. & Jackson, "Developing Expertise in Project Based Science: A Longitudinal Study of Teacher Development and Student Perceptions" in Exemplary Science for Resolving Societal Challenges, J. K. Yager, R. E. (Ed.) NSTA, (2010), 1-18
- Dickinson, G. & Summers, E. J. "(Re)Anchored, Video-Centered Engagement: The Transferability of Preservice Training to Practice," Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education (2010), 10:1, 106-118
- Ares, N.; Stroup, W. M. & Schademan, A. R. "The Power of Mediating Artifacts in Group-Level Development of Mathematical Discourses," Cognition and Instruction, (2009), 27:1, 1-24
- Siegel, L. M.; Dickinson, G.; Hooper, E. J. & Daniels, M. "Teaching Algebra and Geometry Concepts by Modeling Telescope Optics," Mathematics Teacher, (2008), 101:7, 490-49
- Carrejo, D. J. & Marshall, J. "What Is Mathematical Modelling? Exploring Prospective Teachers' Use of Experiments to Connect Mathematics to the Study of Motion," Mathematics Education Research Journal, (2007), 19:1, 45-76
- Canada, D. & Makar, K. "Preservice Teachers’ Informal Descriptions of Variation." Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association. San Francisco, CA. 2006.
- Marshall, J. & Young, E. S. "Preservice Teachers' Theory Development in Physical and Simulated Environments." Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 43:9, 907-937. 2006.
- Confrey, J. & Makar, K. "Critiquing and Improving the Use of Data from High-stakes Tests with the Aid of Dynamic Statistics Software." In Scaling up for Success: Lessons from Technology-based Educational Improvement, eds. C. Dede, J. Honan, & L. Peters (Eds.), 198-226. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2005.
- Fletcher, F., Luft, J., & Fortney, B. "Punctuated Equilibrium or Gradual Growth? Factors that Influence Preservice Secondary Science Teachers' Beliefs." Presentation at the NARST Annual Meeting, Dallas, TX. 2005.
- Makar, K. & Confrey, J. "'Variation-talk': Articulating Meaning in Statistics," Statistics Education Research Journal, 4:1, 27-54. 2005.
- Stroup, W.M. "Learning the Basics with Calculus," Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching, 24:2, 179-196. 2005.
- Stroup, W.M.; Ares, N.M. & Hurford, A.C. "A Dialectic Analysis of Generativity: Issues of Network-Supported Design in Mathematics and Science," Mathematical Thinking and Learning, 7:3, 181-206. 2005.
- Carrejo, David John. Mathematical modeling and kinematics: A study of emerging themes and their implications for learning mathematics through an inquiry-based approach. Doctoral dissertation. University of Texas at Austin. Jill Marshall and Anthony Petrosino, Co-Supervisors, 2004. Click here to reach the University of Texas Digital Repository (UT EID needed).
- Confrey, Jere, Makar, Katie, & Kazak, Sibel. "Undertaking Data Analysis of Student Outcomes as Professional Development for Teachers." ZDM: International Reviews on Mathematics Education, 36:1. 2004.
- Fortney, B., and Luft, J, & Fletcher, S. "Informing Expectations for Early Recruitment Programs: Explorations Among Science Students in a Science Teacher Recruitment Program." Proceedings of the NARST Annual Meeting, Vancouver, Canada. 2004.
- Makar, K. & Confrey, J. "Modeling Fairness of Student Achievement in Mathematics Using Statistical Software by Preservice Secondary Teachers," paper presented at the Fourteenth Study of the International Commission on Mathematics Instruction (ICMI-14), Dortmund, Germany. 2004.
- Makar, K. Developing statistical inquiry: Prospective secondary mathematics and science teachers' investigations of equity and fairness through analysis of accountability data. Doctoral disseration, University of Texas at Austin, Jere Confrey and Jill Marshall, Co-Supervisors, 2004. Click here to reach the University of Texas Digital Repository (UT EID needed).
- Confrey, J. & Makar, K. "Critiquing and Improving Data Use from High Stakes Tests: Understanding Variation and Distribution in Relation to Equity Using Dynamic Statistics Software," Paper presented at Scaling Up Success: A Usable Knowledge Conference at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. 2003.
- Makar, K., & Confrey, J. "Chunks, Clumps, and Spread Out: Secondary Preservice Teachers’ Informal Notions of Variation and Distribution." In C. Lee, ed., Reasoning about Variability: A Collection of Current Research Studies [On CD]. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publisher. 2003.
- Petrosino, A. &.Dickinson, .G. D. "Integrating Technology with Meaningful Content and Faculty Research: The UTeach Natural Sciences Program." Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 3:1, 2003.