A new, streamlined UTeach pathway.
UTeach Accelerate prepares candidates for secondary STEM teaching in as little as one year of coursework, followed by a student teaching experience. This pathway combines streamlined coursework with intensive coaching and support.
UTeach Accelerate prepares candidates for secondary STEM teaching in as little as one year of coursework, followed by a student teaching experience. This pathway combines streamlined coursework with intensive coaching and support. Through clinically-intensive coursework, candidates learn from expert UTeach faculty and master teachers how to engage ALL learners in STEM though inquiry- and project-based learning.
After 2 semesters of prepatory coursework, highly qualified candidates will be recommended for a full-time paid teaching position. During this year, students receive intensive UTeach support, as they complete educator preparation requirements and become fully certified. All candidates also have the option of the one-semester student teaching experience before becoming fully certified.
To begin UTeach Accelerate, students must be also accepted to the University of Texas at Austin.
Details About UTeach Accelerate
- Degree awarded by the end of the second semester of Accelerate coursework or before
- STEM major/degree or sufficient hours in a STEM field to meet UTeach content requirements
- 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Interested students who do not meet the GPA or STEM hours requirements should contact Dr. Ariel Taylor for more information about their options
- Applicants whose undergraduate or graduate degrees were earned at institutions outside of the U.S. (including territories) may be required to take the TOEFL iBT in order to be admitted. The following scores are required:
- Speaking = 24
- Listening = 22
- Reading = 22
- Writing = 21
- Interested current or former students who have successfully completed UTS 101, UTS 110, and EDC 365C and who meet the above requirements, should contact Dr. Ariel Taylor for more information about their options.
- Scholarship recipients must be U.S. citizens or permanent resident aliens.
- June 1, 2021 deadline for fall 2021
- Submit the online application to UTeach, which includes:
- Two essay questions
- One letter of recommendation
- Current resume
- Unofficial transcript(s)
- Qualifying applicants will be invited to participate in an in-person interview within 2 weeks of the due date.
- Students not currently admitted should apply to the University of Texas at Austin
- Former UT students apply for readmission.
- Students who have never been admitted to UT apply as transfer students.
- This includes students who were admitted to UT Austin as transient students.
- Students who miss a UT Austin application deadline should apply for spring 2022. These applications will receive consideration for fall 2021.
International students apply through the Graduate and International Admission Center and must meet all University of Texas at Austin application deadlines.
Do you have questions about the UTeach Accelerate Program?
You Should Know
1. All students must undergo a criminal history background check. This is required for all field experiences and before a district can employ you as an educator. If you have been convicted of an offense that is considered not appropriate for an educator, you could be ineligible to earn certification in the state of Texas.
Details about potential eligibility of persons with a criminal history can be found in the Texas Administrative Code, §249.16: http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/sbecrules/tac/chapter249/ch249b.pdf
You have a right to request a preliminary criminal history evaluation letter from the Texas Education Agency before admission into this program. The Texas Education Agency currently charges a fee for this criminal history Evaluation. More information on the Preliminary Criminal History Evaluation may be found at https://tea.texas.gov/Texas_Educators/Investigations/Preliminary_Criminal_History_Evaluation-FAQs/
2. All educators must agree to abide by the Texas Educators' Code of Ethics.