Traditional path degree holder

To be certified to teach in Texas public schools, you need to:

  • hold an undergraduate degree (in any field)
  • complete an approved program
  • pass 2 TExES exams required by the State of Texas
  • pass a criminal history check
  • submit fingerprints

This pathway will take a minimum of 4 semesters and is available for a fall or spring start. You do not have to pursue another undergraduate degree. Once admitted, you'll be a Degree-Holder/Non-Degree Seeker at UT.

It may be possible to pursue certification concurrently with a graduate degree. If you intend to pursue a graduate degree, you'll want to learn more about Graduate Admissions.

Application information for former UT Austin students. If you were admitted for a summer session as a "transient" student, you should apply as a transfer student. See below.

Application information for students who never attended UT Austin. This includes students who took courses at UT Austin as "transient" students during a summer session. You'll apply as a "transfer" student, Degree-Holder/Non-Degree Seeker.

Check the status of your application to the university here.

Please contact the Office of Admissions directly with questions about applying to the University. And let us know when your UT application is complete.