Duties and Expectations for Mentor Teachers
- attend a planning session early in the semester to meet UTeach teachers as well as plan and schedule the field experiences.
- provide feedback on lesson plans and communicate with teaching teams about lesson content and logistics as needed.
- supervise UTeach students during classroom visits. These visits consist of both observation and instruction.
- document classroom visits by signing time stamped student observation or lesson feedback forms.
Mentor Teachers receive a stipend for each team of students that they supervise.
|Number of visits||Observations||Lessons|
During classroom visits, Mentor Teachers:
- are present in the classroom at all times and do not leave UTeach teachers alone with a substitute or student teacher.
- assume primary responsibility for classroom management.
- promptly complete and sign lesson feedback forms. A copy of the form goes the UTeach teacher, either in hard copy or electronically.
NOTE: These forms are important as students read and reflect on them before the next teach. They also provide evidence that students have taught each lesson, a requirement for passing the course.
The UTeach Natural Sciences program thanks all of our Mentor Teachers for their dedication to the next generation of STEM educators.