Duties and Expectations for Mentor Teachers
Early field experiences provide our students the opportunity to explore the profession of teaching in a hands-on way and decide if teaching is right for them. We couldn’t do it without you. This document outlines the duties and expectations for Mentor Teachers. Please review it and contact your course instructor if you have any questions.
- attend a planning session early in the semester to meet UTeach teachers as well as plan and schedule the field experiences.
- supervise UTeach students during classroom visits lasting approximately 45-50 minutes. These visits consist of both observation and instruction.
|Number of visits||Observations||Lessons|
In Step 2, Mentor Teachers provide UTeach teachers with lesson topics and objectives for each of the three lessons so that the topics and objectives are connected as much as possible to the curriculum being taught by the Mentor Teacher at the time of the lesson.
During classroom visits, Mentor Teachers:
- are present in the classroom at all times and do not leave UTeach teachers alone with a substitute or student teacher.
- assume primary responsibility for classroom management.
- promptly complete three short lesson feedback forms. A copy of the form goes the UTeach teacher, either in hard copy or electronically.
NOTE: These forms are important as students read and reflect on them before the next teach. They also provide evidence that students have taught each lesson, a requirement for passing the course.
Further, Mentor Teachers:
- provide UTeach teachers with the opportunity to observe and teach the same group of students for all field experiences. The UTeach program understands this may not be possible in all circumstances and we appreciate the effort to provide our students with continuity in the field experience.
- use email on a regular basis to communicate promptly and effectively with the UTeach students.
- communicate with the Step 2 instructors at the first indication of problems.
- complete and return the Final Evaluation form for each of the UTeach students (not each team) in the classroom as soon as possible after the completion of all 3 lessons.
If it becomes necessary to reschedule a classroom visits, Mentor Teachers will:
- contact UTeach teachers at least 48 hours in advance of the visit to be cancelled, or as quickly as possible in the event of an emergency.
- contact the Step 2 instructor if the UTeach teachers cannot be contacted directly.
- reschedule the missed classroom visit as soon as possible, ideally the same day and time the following week.