Apprentice Teaching and Seminar (EDC 651S and UTS 170)
One 6-hour course and one 1-hour course. Students take this course after completing all other coursework, including content coursework. Students who intend to take one other course with EDC 651S and UTS 170 must submit a petition. Talk to your UTeach advisor about how to submit a petition. Call 512 232 2770 to make an appointment.
Students are immersed in the schools to prepare them to confidently assume a teaching position. In the seminar, students reflect on their student teaching experiences and examine contemporary critical issues in education.
- EDC 365E with a grade of C- or better
- Research Methods with a grade of C- or better
- Perspectives with a grade of C- or better
- A passing score on the preliminary portfolio
- A cumulative UT GPA of 2.5
- An application, apply here: https://pds.education.utexas.edu/
- Spring Apprentice Teachers must apply by October 1
- Fall Apprentice Teachers must apply by March 1
- Attend an orientation session in the semester before you intend to Apprentice Teach. For further details and to sign up for the mandatory Apprentice Teaching orientation, students must reply to an email from the Student Teacher Coordinator, Pamela Elias.
Students who do not meet the 2.5 GPA requirement must submit a petition and earn a passing score on the Pre-Admission Content Test. Talk to your UTeach advisor about how to submit a petition. Call 512 232 2770 to make an appointment.